On the Technician class test there is a question which says, “What is the purpose of a fuse in an electrical circuit?” and the answer is, “To interrupt power in case of overload.”In the Gordon West Technician Class Q And A book it says, in the added notes, “Place the fuse as close to the battery as possible” (Page 162). That is good advice because if for any reason the positive wire’s insulation is damaged and the wire touches the chassis or engine (a hot manifold is a frequent cause of this problem) then it will blow the fuse if it is close to the battery but not if it is between the radio and the short.
On that same page it shows a schematic of an installation and it shows a fuse in the negative line.Many hams think that is unnecessary because you will not cause a short if the negative wire touches the metal of the vehicle.So why place a fuse in this line?
The diagram shows the negative wire going straight back to the negative terminal of the battery.What I am about to say I have personally seen more then once while working as a commercial two way radio technician so it is not hypothetical.If the battery cable develops resistance between the cable and the body of the vehicle by rust or corrosion or the wire itself corrodes to the point that it is not a good conductor this type of installation can cause problems.
When the engine is being started a lot of current is being drawn from the battery.The current seeks the path of least resistance and if that path happens to be between the radio, through the negative wire, to the battery then that is the where the current will flow.The current will only be a percentage of the overall current flow but it doesn’t take much of a percentage to overload the wire and smoke will result.Frequently what will happen in this configuration is the unit is not grounded well at the mounting bracket but the shield side of the coax makes a good ground by the antenna mount.The current for the starter will flow through the coax shield to the coax connector on the radio then on to the negative wire to the battery. If that wire is not fused the coax shield will smoke. If the radio is grounded at the mount the negative wire to the battery is not big enough to handle the load and it will smoke.Either way there is a fire danger.
Personally I do not recommend this type of hookup.If you do this and the fuse blows you may not know it is blown because the radio will find sufficient contact between the mounting bracket and/or the antenna ground to continue to operate.The resistance does not have to be high enough that the vehicle will not start to cause this phenomenon.Now the antenna ground and the mounting bracket are not designed to be the ground sores for the DC power of the radio and it will cause more problems then you can imagine.Believe me as a two way radio technician for many years I have seen these problems and they can drive you crazy.I suggest that you run the ground wire to the chassis of the vehicle.Use an eye connector with one outer locking lock washer between the head of the screw and the lug and another between the lug and the chassis.Scrape the paint off the place where the lug will come in contact with the metal.Run the screw down tight but do not strip it out.
I can not tell you how many problems I have found that were caused by a poor ground connection.